"US Only" contest

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Urutsini's picture
"US Only" contest

Extremely disappointed.

I am a subscriber to your internationally released, Kickstartered and marketed magazine. I enjoy your magazine and gladly read your emails and enjoy your content. I have participated in every Rafflecopter generated contest since I started subscribing because I appreciate the extra exposure it creates for you guys and I'd love to win some games. However today I glanced at your terms and conditions and see that in the fine print the contest is only open to the US.

For starters, that's ridiculous, why is that the case? You have a great deal of international presence and that excludes every one of us. Surely you would want as much exposure as you can get.

Secondly, why haven't you been open about that from the beginning? I have been giving you guys free marketing exposure without even the possibility for anything in return. At the very least, you should be mentioning that in your emails and more visibly on the contest page. You have effectively been scamming us and it has left a very nasty taste in my mouth.

Chris James's picture
Site Admin

I am very sorry for this! We definitely need to make it more clear that these contests are U.S. only. We did not intentionally try to scam you or any of our international followers and I accept full responsibility.

We would absolutely love to open up our giveaways to international residents. Unfortunately, we are bound by very strict legal ramifications. Each country has its own laws and regulations regarding giveaways - in Canada, for instance, we would have to alter the format of our giveaways to include some sort of skilled contest while excluding certain areas like Quebec. Multiply these nitty-gritty laws across every country in the world and we would need to hire a lawyer and pay high legal costs that would simply put us out of business. We could ignore these laws, but we would potentially be subject to criminal prosecution or hefty fines that could also put us out of business.

For these reasons, coupled with the fact that the majority of our readers are in the U.S., we have decided at this time to avoid any problems by offering U.S. only giveaways. It is a very unfortunate situation, but I hope you understand where we are coming from.

Sean's picture

A division of the company I work for has a US address, and could receive the shipment in my name--would that work as my location even though I'm technically in Canada? 

Add new comment